Monday 16 July 2007

The jetty to heaven

I was doing rounds with my registrar and resident the other day, looked out the window and what should I see? On the lawn outside, there was a brand new, modern sculpture! The new installation has a glass and steel construction in the shape of an off-kilter helix heading up towards the sky. With its many horizontal glass panels, it would do nicely for DNA, in an abstract sort of way but I am told it represents a jetty.

One of my older, less grounded patients volunteered that this new structure was not in fact a jetty but a rocket launcher! Under his bed was where the nuclear warheads were stored. I considered his interpretation for a while, before deciding it wasn't very likely. I think it may have been the computer-timed fairy lights, which illuminate the sculpture at night that put old Joe on the wrong track.

So, while we don't have anyone to file the charts, or a visiting neurologist more than once per month, or a Holter monitor, or bone marrow aspirate needles, or a dedicated procedure room, or enough chairs for people to sit on, or anything with which to treat fungal ear infections, we do have a very lovely "jetty to heaven" to appreciate. Thanks Uncle Beattie.

No comments: